Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney recently signed the Fair Workweek Employment Standards Ordinance into law. The new law, which goes into effect on January 1, 2020, will impact employee scheduling if the employer:
- Is in the retail, hospitality, or food service industries;
- Has 250 or more employees (including full and part-time); and
- Has 30 or more locations worldwide in.
Employers must provide newly hired employees a “Good-faith” estimate of their work schedule which includes:
- The average number of work hours the employee can expect to work each week over a typical 90-day period.
- The expectation to work any on-call shifts,
- Days and times the employee can typically expect to work and when they can expect to be off work.
- A written work schedule through the end of the currently posted work period (provided before the first day of work).